The MSc Business Finance degree specialises in the theory and practice of business finance, one of the most popular sectors in financial services.
The programme will provide you with the knowledge to successfully navigate the rapidly changing global landscape of business finance and is designed to prepare you for a wide range of careers in the financial sector, including investment banking, securities sales and trading, foreign exchange, hedge funds, private banking, credit products, financial and credit risk management and consultancy.
The Business Finance degree will develop your business finance expertise to the highest level.
Unique features of the MSc in Business Finance are:
- Focus on areas of business finance that have a major practical and theoretical significance such as investment analysis, valuation, optimal capital structure and mergers and acquisitions, derivatives, finance microstructure and taxation.
As with all of our MSc programmes, our Business Finance degree offers:
- Invaluable contributions from respected City practitioners and industry experts who also teach students, bringing practical insights in to the classroom by applying the theory to real world scenarios.
- A fully integrated careers programme, a dedicated careers consultant, and extensive industry links that aim to maximise your employment prospects.
- An unparalleled set of optional short courses designed to equip you with further practical training and key technical skills that are highly valued in the Financial Sector.
- High rate of employment of our students within six months of graduation.
- State-of-the-art facilities such as a virtual trading floor which provides exclusive access to the latest technology and financial software used in the banking and finance industry, and access to specialised financial and economic databases and software used by economists in finance or in government for data analysis and simulation.
- The opportunity to join Queen Mary University of London MSc Investment Fund (QUMMIF) – one of the only investment clubs of its kind in London, which allows students to trade real money (currently £30,000) in order to obtain relevant, practical work experience in trading and portfolio analysis.
MSc Business Finance is available for one year’s study full-time. You will take five compulsory modules in the first semester, and two compulsory modules plus three electives in the second semester.
The pre-semester modules in maths and statistics take place in September. They are especially designed for students who want to review concepts such as statistical distributions and matrix algebra.
|Semester A||Semester B||Post-Semester B|
|Business Finance||Cases in Business Finance||7,000 word dissertation|
|Commercial and Investment Banking||Elective|
|Quantitative Methods in Finance||Elective|
Elective modules include
- Financial Derivatives
- International Finance
- Risk Management for Banking
- Asset Management
- Principles of Accounting
- Applied Risk Management
- Banking Regulations
- Topics in Applied Finance
- Topics in Financial Econometrics
- Bond Market Strategies
- Alternative Investments
- Valuation and Private Equity
- Credit Rating
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Islamic Finance in Practice
- Strategic Asset Allocation
- Portfolio Construction Theory
- Hedge Funds, Venture Capital and LBO’s
More information about the elective modules can be found here.
In order to reflect the practical and applied side of this programme the School organises a number of extra optional modules that aim to provide further practical training to students, whose subject matter changes from year to year. These modules are taught by City practitioners, who provide an insider’s view on topics of interest to the financial community.
At least a good second class honours degree (high 2.2) or overseas equivalent in a subject with some quantitative elements.
Subjects likely to contain sufficient quantitative elements (i.e. which have at least one mathematics or statistics based module) including Mathematics, Science, Engineering, Economics, Finance, Accounting, Business & Management.
For our English Language requirements please click here.
Note that all aspects of your application will be taken into consideration and so attaining the criteria above does not guarantee admission.
Fees and contact
Tuition fees for the academic year 2016/2017 are £16,500 for home and EU students and £19,950 for international students.
We can offer a large number of generous scholarships against tuition fees for academically outstanding students.
New UK Government Postgraduate Loans Scheme (PGL)
A new system of postgraduate loans (PGL) for Masters degrees in the UK will be introduced for the 2016-17 academic year for home and EU students. You must be aged under 60 on 1st August of the year in which you start the course.
If you are a prospective student or a current applicant and your query is related to admission, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a current student or your query is non-admissions related, then please email Sarah Riley (email@example.com). Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 8848